A terrible car accident left 17-year old Skylar deaf and blind. Now – two years later, her vision is back on one eye and she can hear again thanks to the Baha Attract System.
“In July 2014, my dad and I were driving to church for youth group. Just as we entered an intersection, a driver in a raised pickup truck ran a red light, T-boning and plowing through our small Volkswagen Beetle […] The result was gruesome: My dad was killed instantly and I was airlifted to the hospital in critical condition.”
When Skylar woke up from her medically induced coma, it was to a traumatic brain injury and broken bones in her head, face, and the upper left side of her body. The left side of her face was completely paralyzed, she had profound hearing loss in both ears and was totally blind in her left eye.
After nine surgeries the doctors managed to save her shattered skull and repair her severed facial nerve. The hearing in her right ear came back unexpectedly after two weeks, but she was still completely deaf on her left side.
“I just kind of accepted the hearing loss and went about my life, trying to heal from all the other injuries. Until I had a follow-up appointment with my audiologist a few months later, when she told me I potentially qualified for a Baha device.
I had heard of Cochlear implants, but never bone-anchored hearing conduction devices. The technology was fascinating to me, and I was so excited that I could possibly regain some sound that we scheduled the Baha Attract surgery that very afternoon, for an operation two weeks later.”
Skylar was one of the Anders Tjellström scholarship winners this year, and is currently working as a summer intern in the US, supporting the Cochlear Recipient Services team. She says that she is glad she took the decision to get a Baha implant and that it has definitely changed her life for the better. She loves the magnet, too.
“The cool thing about the Baha Attract is that once the site healed from surgery, there was no more maintenance required. When I take off my processor there’s no sign that I have anything there, and the magnet isn’t strong enough to cause problems when I walk past lockers or fridges. (That was one of my actual concerns going into the procedure!)”
Read Skylar’s whole story here